Thursday, August 11, 2005

QUICK & EASY

Well after a full day at the water park what do you feed starving grand kids and husband? Something we already have on hand. So here is what we had last night:

BBQ HAMBURGERS - I always keep some high quality hamburger patties (from Costco) on hand in the summer time. These are so good that you can even eat BBQ'd plain and not as a hamburger.

FRIED POTATOES
I have come up with a relatively quick and easy way to cook these and they make a great side dish. You can use Red or Russet potatoes. Slice very thin. I use my Slicer from Pampered Chef. Heat up the frying pan .... pretty hot... with bacon grease. Yes! I said bacon grease. It gives those potatoes the BEST flavor. I save my bacon grease in a small covered container in the fridge. If you want to fry up some bacon.... crisp and when potatoes are done sprinkle crumbled bacon on top. Yummy!
Anyway add the potatoes to your skillet sprinkle with diced onions and sprinkle with pepper and seasoned salt. COVER! Check on every 5 minutes or so and turning when slightly brown. Takes approx 20-30 minutes to cook.

TEX'S RECIPE FOR BEANS
1 lb. Hamburger
1/2 onion - diced
2 cans Texas style beans

Cook hamuburger, drain grease. Add onion and cook. Also add pepper and salt (or seasoned salt). Add two cans of the Texas sytle beans. If you watch they sell these at Winco... cheaper than anywhere else. Cook till hot and serve.

This is Tex's recipe ... of course when he eats it he will add some jalopeno peppers to it.

I try to keep these beans on hand at all times.

1 comment :

Tricia said...

I'm definitely going to try Tex's beans. I need a new version; I've made the other too often this summer!
With it being so hot I'm always avoiding the oven & boiling water, so those potatoes would be perfectly yummy and cheap!