Thursday, January 03, 2008

Creamed Ham and Eggs

I am a big believer in not wasting any food. Over the years I used to spend hours looking through recipe books to find ways to use food that I had on hand. Ok - - I admit I hate to go to the grocery store. With the holidays just passing I had a lot of left over ham. Years ago I came across this recipe. It is quick and easy. I know it sounds a little strange but it really is good. Ask Tex ....we had it for dinner tonight. I thought Tricia would also enjoy this one too as it is a way to use eggs. I know that someone with as many chickens as she has ....she has a lot of eggs.

3 tablespoons butter or margaine
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 tsp. dry mustartd
1/4 tsp. salt (or use onion salt)
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 1/4 cups milk
1 cup diced cooked ham
4 hard-cooked eggs, quartered

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour and seasonings. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remover from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Gently stir in ham and eggs; heat through.

Serve over rice, toast or biscuits.

6 servings.

2 comments :

Tricia said...

Yum. I forgot about this yummy recipe... although I almost made cream tuna on toast last night...but I was out of tuna! Ha!
I'm definitely printing this one out to use next week. I have ham b/c it was cheap at thanksgiving. I just cut it into resonable hunks and threw it in the freezer. And I think I can find a few eggs too :-)

Tricia said...

I made this last week & it was a hit all the way around! Steve even took the leftovers and ate them for BREAKFAST 2 mornings last week. Then he hinted that I should make it again so he can have a quick breakfast. Thanks Mom!